Monday, June 8, 2009

"Ride on"

Mon: 6/8/09
No Running
Planned day off after a healthy 10 days of pavement pounding. Things are looking optimistic.

On a more melancholic note my prayers go out Landon's family and his close friends. I was fortunate enough to get to know Landon a little my Freshmen and Sophomore years and he left a lasting impression. I would be remiss if I didn't share two stories that, to me anyway, captured the amazing personality of Landon.

In a more serious context, I can remember sitting with Landon on the indoor track in the far corner (where the sprints started) after a team meeting we had with Johnny G. One of the elements that I think bonds teammates as more than merely friends is the shared sacrifice and the opening of ones feelings about their secret goals. While sitting by the mats Landon confessed to me that he wanted nothing more than to make the team for Pre-Nationals in Furman that year. he said it wasn't something he had told a lot of people but it was something he really wanted to accomplish. At the time, it was a major goal of mine as well and we vowed to hold each other accountable for doing whatever it took to make the team. It was the first time someone on the team had opened up to me like that and it made a lasting impression.

On the lighter side, I don't think anyone will ever forget the time Landon ran the entire Seekonk run with a pumpkin on his head. Hands down it is still one of the funniest moments I have ever witnessed and it lasted almost an hour. These varied and contrasting memories describe someone who had one of the most free spirited personalities I have yet to meet.

Rest in Peace Landon

No comments: