Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll"

Tue:6/16/09
3 mile warm-up
3 x 1500m w/1min rest (5:05, 4:58, 4:48) Corresponding mile splits (5:27, 5:19, 5:08)
3 mile cool down

Total = 9 miles
The comeback starts today I guess. I decided to prescribe myself a baby workout I gave a lot of the college athletes I coached when they were really unfit or just starting to run. It's a good way to get a threshold effort in but, with the 1min rest, it gives you the chance to do a little more volume without going backwards in pace. I read about this form of workout about a year or so ago but I can't remember where. In any case, I thought it was a good idea and I have since stolen it.

There's actually a nice altitude conversion at Bass Lake that makes 1500 meter loops about 4 seconds slower. With the slight rolling hills and loose gravel footing the zap guys estimate it to be 10 seconds slower per mile than a track at sea level. I don't know if I believe that but these guys work out here every day so I'll take it.

To be honest, I am pretty happy with this workout despite it being at a quite pedestrian pace compared to elite standards. However, it's my first workout since September and the first step on a long road back. The first interval felt pretty decent and I came through the 800 in 2:43 or so and was feeling decent. The last 400 or so is a tad uphill but I was able to maintain pace and run a little faster than the 5:30 mile I was looking for. The second interval did not feel nearly as good as the first but I was somewhat surprised to see the sub 5:00 1500 clocking. The last interval was a real bear and I really had to focus on staying relaxed and not letting my form go to shit. To say it was difficult would be an understatement and I am sure part if it had to do with the fact that this was the first time I had fought that deep breathing, chest hurting, stomach turning, legs burning feeling in almost a year. The pain associated with working out at this point is quite foreign to me. However, I was rewarded with a 4:48 and a sub 5min mile with all the conversions. It was a really welcomed feeling, after I caught my breath and dry heaved of course, to have accomplished the workout in better form than I had set out to. The cool down was a wonderful return to that weird euphoric haze that only comes on a slow and well deserved cool down.

The foot felt decent, a hint of pain after but it went away quick. My calves were tight depsite wearing trainers and I soaked in the creak afterward just to be safe.

Bold

3 comments:

Jilane said...

"I decided to prescribe myself a baby workout I gave a lot of the college athletes I coached when they were really unfit or just starting to run."

Please be honest with your audience. The only "college athletes" you've coached have been girls. You, therefore, did a chick workout. Thanks.

Coach Gaudette said...

Jilane,

That is a very good point you make and I should have better worded my sentence. However;

1.You could you not have done that workout

2. I am now confident in my ability to beat you at any distance...and Ozzie too!


Warm Regards,
Jeff

p.s. The gauntlet has been thrown down

Mad said...

hilarious exchange

p.s. nice workout!