Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Three Hundos

Tue: 7/14/09
AM: 6 mile run (43:00)
Had to do the easier run this morning since I had a lot going on today and I didn't want to be trashed all day by getting up at 5am and subjecting myself to a track workout.

PM: 3 w/u, 16 x 300 w/100 jog in 30 sec (57, 55, 54, 53, 53, 53, 54, 54, 52, 52, 53, 52, 51, 51, 51, 48) 3 c/d
Total = 10 miles
I have to give my coach props for the good call on workouts lately. This one was exactly what I needed (*pats self on back). I wanted to have a workout where I was able to get a little speed work in, defined at sub 4:50 pace for the moment, but still have a focus on increasing the threshold. 53's are like 4:44 pace per mile so to average that on 30 sec rest was a success for my fitness at the moment. I started out conservatively as some very grueling past experiences with this workout have taught me that going out over my head hurts. I was still surprised at how easy the 53's felt and mid way through I was hoping to run 51-52 for 8-12 and 49-50 for 12-16. However, in this workout you tend to roll along fine, feeling great and thinking life is grand and then all of a sudden King Kong jumps on your back in the span of 30 seconds (good to remember for anyone I prescribe this to later). Getting below that 53-52 range just wasn't happening as easy as I thought it would. On the "last one fast one" I took an extra 5 seconds to collect myself and braced for the pain and skulled the last 100 to dip under 5o seconds. Yes, I know it's only a 65 sec 400 but for my current form, that's blazin! I am happy with the workout and excited to race this weekend to test out the fitness for real.

p.s. I'm calling out Ben and George in this post. They have both dropped out of the Rockville Twilight 8k, reasons unannounced but presumably in fear of my lethal 65 quarter speed. It's still exciting to take Princeton and Dartmouth scalps and I am dissapointed. Don't worry you guys (and Jilane - you wussed out too) I'll drink your beer and eat your pizza and donuts!

No comments: