Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cutting Play Doh Shapes

Tue: 7/7/09
AM: 3 w/u, 8 x 1k w/30 sec rest (3:12, 3:14, 3:12, 3:13, 3:13, 3:15, 3:14, 3:05), 3 c/d
Total - 11 miles
Today was the perfect prescription. It was the perfect distance, pace and rest to accomplish a good threshold workout at a faster pace then I can run a tempo right now. I wanted to be right around 5:10 pace (3:13) and I hit the pace pretty good and each interval was right about what I thought I could "comfortably" complete. The track at Hopkins is really nice as it has a very soft surface and sits in a nice little outskirt. The only issues I have are that the turns are pretty tight and there is no shade.

The first interval found me right on pace and feeling pretty decent. I was a little surprised at how fast 30 seconds came around and I almost wanted to change to a minute but knew I wanted to keep the threshold down. I thought about stopping at 3, 5 and 6 but I knew I needed to sack up mentally and get it done. I will say that I felt worst once I stopped for 30 seconds and I even contemplated just banging out miles to get it over with quicker. In the end, I am very glad I stuck with it. When I finished I was over heating big time and luckily the facilities guys were out and left a hose sitting by the side of the track. Without that I am not sure I would have made it back.

Overall, another solid baby step in the right direction.

PM: 6 mile run (42:00)
FOUND A TRAIL!!! So, it isn't Moses Cone or anything but there is a little single track trail that runs behind the Hopkins undergrad campus I discovered today. How Melanie has lived here for three years and not found any good places to run is beyond me. It was exciting to get a change of scenery from the typical streets. While only a mile long, it provided some much needed nature respite from the asphalt. Some more exploring is in order to make sure there are no secret add-ons anywhere. The first 15 minutes felt like trash but the middle part in the trail was nice.

No comments: