Friday, July 10, 2009

Tempo action

Fri: 7/10/09
AM: 3 w/u, 4.5 mile tempo (1.5 splits were 7:59, 7:59, 7:33), 5min rest, 4 x 400 (7oish) w/1min rest.

First, I have to say that I don't really know if this loop is exactly 1.5 miles. While it's all good right now, judging pace will be important at some point so I need to get it measured better. The thing with measuring is that it doesn't take much to really be off. If this loop is 100 meters short, which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, it actually means at least a 20sec addition to the times. That would make this workout not so great. However, what I don't know won't hurt me.

The first loop went great and I felt very relaxed and ready to go the full distance. However, sometime in the first half of the second loop I went to sleep and my mind went out for a donut. I came through half way 7 seconds slow and was feeling pretty bullshit about my frame of mind. I contemplated bagging it at 3 miles because I was convincing myself I felt bad. Luckily, I tried picking it up and I surprisingly came through in the exact time as the first loop. This perked me up and I started actually running the last loop. I cam through half at 3:55 and knew I could do some damage the last half. I was surprised when I saw 7:33, as it is a 15 sec improvement from my previous best time after only running two loops. The 400's weren't that great, especially since I was wearing the new infinity 2's, which are not a flat and not as sweet as their predecessors. Overall, I was content with the effort but once again know I need to work on maintaining focus.

PM: 6 mile run (43:00)
Hopkins trail route today again but I felt like ass. I even asked Melanie to slow up for me today, which she was kind enough to do. Glad I got the run in and had lots of freeze pops afterward.

No comments: