Friday, July 3, 2009

Goin' Cherry pickin

Fri: 7/3/09
AM: 9 mile run (1:00:00)
Went out later today as Melanie had the day off and we chose to sleep in. Luckily, the temperature was really mild (low 70's) and I wasn't punished for my lethargic decision. The holidays must have people in a good mood. Most of the people I passed today were very friendly, more than usual, and it kept me in good spirits. One homeless guy yelled across the street "sir, you have a happy holiday weekend", what a nice guy. I tried to keep it easy today as I might try and cherry pick a road race tomorrow. Yes, I know I am about as out of shape as I've ever been, but there's a 10k that offers 200 for the win and last year the winning time was 34mins. Under normal circumstances I would have already spent the money but 34mins is going to be a mighty effort for me. However, I wanted to get in a longer threshold workout this week and having the competition will help. Smart idea or dumbest idea ever, we'll see tomorrow!
PM: 5 mile run (32:00)
I told myself that I should take it easy today and not go for a second run but when was the last time I listened to my own body? Felt pretty terrible for this run. It is the first time I've felt that tired and exhausted feeling on a run in a long time. In a sick way it was welcomed. Melanie and I did have a good conversation about why I'm an idiot when I coach myself. After this week I am going to try and be more objective and coach myself like I would an athlete of mine.

No comments: