Tuesday, August 18, 2009

If you can't stand the heat

Tue: 8/18/09
AM: 3 w/u, 4 x 1.46 miles w/90sec rest (7:15 = 4:57 per mile) (7:09 = 4:53 per mile) (7:14 = 4:57 per mile) (7:08 = 4:53 per mile), 2 c/d

The progress continues with another decent workout. The weather was uncooperative this morning with temps in around 76-78 degrees and high humidity. I really can't wait until the crisp fall weather. I guess the plan was to start at 5:10 pace and work my way down each interval. I wasn't feeling particularly chipper on the warm-up (running 8min pace) so I thought this one might go to sh*t rather quickly. I started comfortably and was rather surprised to see myself go through 800 at sub 5min pace but was feeling ok so decided to go with it. The last 600 meter stretch I started to feel the strain a little. Took the second out on what I thought was the same pace and was surprised again to come through faster. At this point I knew two things. 1. I was having a good day 2. I was heading to the hurt house for the second half of this workout. The third interval was tough but I maintained a strong pace and was able to finish up near the first one. The last one would have been the same pace as three had it not been for a valient last 600 meters. I was wiped when I finished and felt like my skin was on fire. It took me a while before I was even ready to start jogging back. Very pleased with the workout, a postive step in the right direction.

Author's note: Looked up the 1.5 mile workout I did when I think I was in the best marathon shape of my life in 2006. 6 x 1.5 miles - 7:30, 7:30, 7:30, 7:28, 7:28, 7:26. Granted, I did take 800 meter rest but that's still a ton of volume. (with the workout, w/u, c/d and a second run I had 25 miles on the day.

PM: 4 mile run (30:00)
Melanie and I caught a much welcomed break when a massive thunderstorm rolled through around 7pm. We waited for the tail end and headed out the door in the much cooler temps. By the end of the run the sun had come back out making for an absolutely humid experience but we were done. Opted for 4 this afternoon bc Mel's been working a lot this week and she's tired and I knew this run needed to be a shakeout and not a struggle for fitness. See, sometimes I'm smart.

No comments: