Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hamster wheel again

Tue: 8/11/09
AM: 6 mile run (40:00)
The weather was going to be out of control again today so I decided to sack up and do my workout on the treadmill. This meant it made more sense to get my second run in first, which is always a nice way to shakeout in the morning. It was hot and humid but otherwise felt decent.

PM: 3 w/u, 2 mile (5:12, 5:12) 2min rest, 2mile (5:07, 5:07) 2min rest, 1 mile (5:00), 2 c/d
The first thing I have to say about this workout is that the people who designed the Hopkins rec center aren't that intelligent. Having windows as walls for three sides of the building during the summer steams up that room like you wouldn't believe. I am sure they save all kinds of energy in the winter but f me does it get hot in the summer. I made the mistake of not bringing my own fan and it was quite the rough one. The plan was to do 3 x 2mile but I was just soaked and on fire by the last one and just called it bc it was silly. Overall I would say I felt good, minus the overheating. The breathing was controlled through the first 7mins or so of each interval and then started to labor. Luckily, I jumped off the aching and immediately jumped in the pool as it felt like my body was on fire. Gross, I know, but I was so wet the other people swimming surely thought I had just come out of the shower.

I guess I could take this time and discuss the good vs the bad in treadmill use for workouts. On one hand it's way easier since all you have to do is plug and run, especially when you work out by yourself. However, part of racing well is learning and feeling pace. There is also the fact hat the road is moving under you and you not over it. I am no kinesiology expert but I would believe your engaging slightly different muscles. I try to combat this by using a 2.0 incline, which seems to be the universally accepted incline to simulate the road. However, in some ways it's hard to mentally run on that machine without going crazy. While I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives - in this weather, with no training partners, and my fitness still pretty fragile - I think it's the best way to go. Using it regulates me to threshold workouts but that isn't such a bad thing for the long term anyway.

No comments: